Thursday, April 30, 2009

We need your story by 9:45 ... and by the way, you're fired

There is a scene in the movie, "The Odd Couple," where Oscar Madison is covering a Mets game and gets called away from the action to take a call in the back of the Shea Stadium press box from Felix Ungar, who tells him not to eat any hot dogs at the park because that's what he's making for dinner.

While he's looking away, Oscar hears the roar of the crowd and learns from another writer that he's just missed witnessing a triple play.

This ranked as the worst-timed phone call ever received by a sports writer -- until yesterday.

Britain's Guardian reports, via a blog post by the Orange County Register's Bill Plunkett, that several Baltimore Sun journalists -- three writers and a photographer -- got word by phone during a game between the Orioles and Angels that they were among the 60-plus people hit by the paper's latest round of layoffs.

This is where I'm supposed to come up with a punch line. But somehow I just can't see the humor in it ...

1 comment:

a sports blog said...

I'm not sure if you own it, but I would really like the domain name "www.sportsprose.com" for my website. If you do, and we can somehow negotiate that, it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, check out my blog and tell me what you think